The San Francisco Giants were almost dealt a serious blow Sunday afternoon when starting pitcher Matt Cain was struck in his right knee by a ball hit by Alfonso Soriano of the Chicago Cubs.
Cain was drilled in the first inning as Soriano clobbered the pitch in his direction and hobbled off the mound in pain as the ball deflected away. Giants manager Bruce Bochy and Head Athletic trainer Dave Groeschner immediately ran to the mound checking on their All-Star. Cain tossed two warmup throws and finished the rest of the inning before exiting the game. The right-hander threw 20 pitches and wrapped his knee tightly in the clubhouse. Cain said his knee feels fine and probably will be stiff. He also added he expects to make his next scheduled start Thursday against the Seattle Mariners. The Giants lost the game 4-3 evening their Cactus League record at 1-1.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- San Francisco Giants Spring Training News
- San Francisco Giants Spring Training News: Hector Sanchez Injury
- San Francisco Giants Player Review: Matt Cain
- San Francisco Giants Name Matt Cain Opening Day Starter
- San Francisco Giants 2013 Spring Training Schedule
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qgm